“Star Wars” Spin-Offs Reportedly on Hold

0
246

According to new reports, Lucasfilm is putting any more Star Wars Anthology films on hold due to the poor performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Word of this comes from Collider, which says that the studio wants to instead focus on its central “trilogy” movies.

Episode IX comes out next year, and will bring a conclusion to the “Sequel Trilogy” and thus the whole saga of the Skywalker family. After that, both Rian Johnson (who directed The Last Jedi) and the team of David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (who adapted Game of Thrones) will get their own trilogy of films starring new characters; which will come first remains to be seen.

The Anthology films were meant to be smaller spin-off stories, related to but separate from the more important “Episode” films. The first, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, came out in 2016 and told the story of how the Death Star plans were acquired prior to the events of A New Hope. Despite some troubled production, it was quite successful, making $1.056 billion at the box office.

Next came Solo, which came out on May 25. It had an even more messier production, with the original directing team of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller replaced by Ron Howard, who reshot around 70 percent of the movie. It became the most expensive Star Wars movie to date and needed about $500 million to break even; about a month later, it has only made $344.3 million. While reviews are generally favorable, many feel that it simply does not add much to the franchise.

Some feel like the Anthology films have not been planned well so far; the fact that both needed revisions seems to indicate that Disney and Lucasfilm do not really know how different from the main movies that they want them to be. (This, in fact, was part of the creative differences that existed with Lord and Miller.)

No other Anthologies have been officially announced, though before Solo‘s poor performance there was word of possible sequels or a spin-off about Lando Calrissian; a movie about Boba Fett has also taken some initial steps, with rumors of an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie as well. For now fans will have to wait and see if these projects have, in fact, been shelved.

SHARE
Previous articleTrump’s Trade Policy Makes Friends In Minnesota
Next articleNew Show On ABC Features Connor Children
Steven has over 10 years of experience in business management most of which has been on the PR front. Because of his flair for writing, Steven decided to bring together a team of like-minded individuals and founded Live Newspaper.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here